Monday, August 20, 2007

Family BBQs in the rain

Every summer, my extended family has a BBQ to celebrate all of the summer birthdays for the year. Normally, my parents host this BBQ, and I host Thanksgiving. This year, my parents are remodeling their kitchen, so I agreed to trade "events" with them.

Dh and I picked the date for the BBQ as yesterday, after coordinating everyone else's schedule on a calendar and choosing from what was left. We weren't really concerned about rain since MN is in a drought and we've had barely any rain all summer.

Cue rain. All. Week. Long. Including yesterday. Which explains why I was outside on my deck, in the rain, hunching over a smoking gas grill cooking ribs and burgers. The ribs, which were mostly cooked in the oven, then just finished for taste on the grill, were delicious.

The burgers were way too rare. Between grill smoke, grill steam, and actual rain on my glasses, I couldn't see them very well and I misjudged when to take them off. Anyone that knows me knows that all meat products must be very obviously DEAD before I will eat them (NO pink!) so my microwave came in handy.

Tip for heating/reheating burgers in the microwave: Put them on a plate, and pour enough water on the plate to cover the bottom. The burgers will cook evenly (in fact, I can attest that you can take a medium rare burger and cook it to well done) and they will NOT dry out. You won't lose any delicious burger taste this way either. YUM!

So, family members were supposed to bring things to the BBQ, which was to start at 2 PM. My parents were 1 hour late! And they live only 10 minutes away! I was pretty angry.....I mean, all the rest of us were starving. I have a pretty high tolerance for tardiness as I am not the most prompt person myself, but an hour! And they didn't even call to let us know when they'd be there.

No comments: