Saturday, April 28, 2007

Being the Kid at Work and Dancing with Furballs

This week has been an interesting and difficult one at work. My job is, in part, to work on system changes requested by the business areas of my employer. To make a long story short, the person that requested and approved the changes I'm currently working on has left the company. No one attended my design session a few months ago, but this week, suddenly, when it's too late to change anything, everyone and their mother has "feedback" for me. After my 2nd meeting like that this week, I just sat and my desk and literally shook. Thankfully it was a telephone conference, so no one got to watch me shake, but still, it was pretty sad.

I've realized that some of this is probably because I'm so much younger than the others in my group. Most of them have at minimum 15 years on me. I have a 1 year old....their kids are in college; that kind of thing. So, I still have a lot to learn, and they have to chill out a little and realize that I'm young but not entirely stupid. Sometimes, it's frustrating to be the "kid," but I had outgrown my old position, and now I have a challenge and an opportunity to learn.

My house is a mess. Between work, schoolwork, the one-year-old, several doctor/dentist appointments, and other matters....well, the cats have taken over, and I think they're trying to "grow" new cats by depositing large chunks of fur everywhere, and waiting for one to develop a genetic mutation and keep growing. Off to the battle for my home!

No comments: